MENU BAR

What I'm Working On Now

Three short films are in Post-Production, soon to be submitting to film festivals.
Producing/editing a pilot for a new web-series inspired by the Alice in Wonderland tales.
Producing/editing a documentary on Gene Roddenberry and the genesis of Star Trek The Original Series.
There are a number of other projects in development, just waiting their turn to be produced.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Education vs. Experience

     I'm working on my MA in Producing Film right now. I'm also working on getting a web series into Pre-Production. As I work on both of these I'm constantly being pulled between the two. Now don't get me wrong, I feel both of these ventures are important in their own right (that is, after all, why I'm pursuing both). However, it is a difficult juggling act to say the least.
     The web series I'm working on is geared as an educational/entertainment show much like Mythbusters or Bill Nye the Science Guy. As such I'm learning all about the process of applying for grants and seeking educational sponsorship. A colleague of mine has a fair amount of experience in the educational video production realm, having worked on films for NASA and the like in the past and I hope to glean all I can from him.
     This project has also brought up some questions for myself:

Where am I going with this? 
     This project could stay as simple as a website or grow into an IMAX film or television show. Sure these are pie in the sky outcomes but I want to be prepared for however things play out. If an IMAX film develops, I would be thrilled. The film would take a year or two and I'd have a blast. After it was all said and done I'd be able to move on with my other projects. With a television series, I'm not so sure I'd be as excited. A television show would be nice in that it provides regular, reliable (for filmmakers at least) work. But it would mean a long term commitment. I do love the premise for the series but I also have narrative films I feel the need to make.

How do I still make time to work on Narrative  Films?
     As a web series, the time required to maintain episode output would not prevent me from continuing to work on other projects. And, if I suddenly became involved in a feature film, I could pass the website on to someone else, put it on hold for a time, or walk away completely if it came to it.

Do I want to work in educational films?
    I grew up watching Bill Nye the Science Guy, Nova, Scientific American Frontier and Newtons Apple. I love science and I know that it was much of this educational programing that has nurtured that love. I feel it only right that I help continue the curiosity of the natural world. That is one of the main reasons I want to work on this web series. Nothing thrills me more that looking up at the night sky and wondering about the universe around us as our little planet flies through its dance through space.

     All in all, I am excited for this project and I am working hard to see it succeed. If it does turn out that I spend the rest of my life on this project, that wouldn't be so bad. I do love science, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment