MENU BAR

What I'm Working On Now

Three short films are in Post-Production, soon to be submitting to film festivals.
Producing/editing a pilot for a new web-series inspired by the Alice in Wonderland tales.
Producing/editing a documentary on Gene Roddenberry and the genesis of Star Trek The Original Series.
There are a number of other projects in development, just waiting their turn to be produced.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Post-Thanksgiving Post

Just a brief update about what happened to last Friday's poem and yesterday's chapter of Immolation.

My wife has a cousin who works for a major airline. As such, she gets stand-by tickets at a discounted price that she can give to family and friends. The only catch is, as I stated before, the tickets are stand-by. If the plane fills up before you get on, you don't fly. My wife's cousin has been working for the airline for some time and knows what days are generally better for flying stand-by. As it turns out, Thanksgiving morning has always been one of the best days and so we set our trael plans around that. The night before Thanksgiving, however, all three flights filled up. My wife called her cousin and her mother to discuss our options. My vote was for driving. We'd done it before, drivine through the night (12 hours). If we left right away (we were already packed) we would arrive at around the same time if we flew. The weather was suppose to be clear that night, but a storm was suppose to be moving in Thanksgiving morning, blocking our travel by road should we try to drive then.

It was decided that we would still try to fly.

Thanksgiving morning, we got to the airport on time, checked our luggage, and waited for the first flight. Our two year old son was fussing, and then, without warning, he thew up all over himself and my wife. With only a few minutes before boarding was suppose to begin, my wife began working on cleaning the two of them off in the bathroom.

they got back in time to hear that the flight was full and no one on Stand-By would be getting on.

We waited for the second flight that morning, it filled up too.

I asked the woman at the information desk about the third and final flight: full, and the stand-by list was only getting bigger as other flights left their stand-by fliers behind. Our luggage had also been sent on the first flight, and we'd have to wait a week or so to get it back. not good with so much of our son's stuff in that luggage.

My wife was on the phone with her mom, telling her between sobs that we weren't going to make it.

A television in the corner of the waiting area displayed the weather. The storm that was suppose to have hit by now had been sitting on the coast, not moving, for the last few hours.

"We're driving," I told my wife.

She'd just hung up the phone and stared hard at me. She looked a mess (sorry dear) and our son was still fussing loudly. I picked up our carry-on bags, slung them over my shoulders, and explained to her about the flights, the luggage, and the weather. The tickets would be refunded, we could have her family pick up our luggage from the airport, and we could still have the rest of the weekend with her family.

So that's what we did. We had a great weekend, but due to my having to drive so much, I didn't write or post. I will try to have a short story up tomorrow, but I make no promises as I am quite behind on a lot of my projects.

Happy Holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment