MENU BAR

What I'm Working On Now

Three short films are in Post-Production, soon to be submitting to film festivals.
Producing/editing a pilot for a new web-series inspired by the Alice in Wonderland tales.
Producing/editing a documentary on Gene Roddenberry and the genesis of Star Trek The Original Series.
There are a number of other projects in development, just waiting their turn to be produced.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

MOVIE THOUGHTS: A BLOG POST BY GABRIEL C TAYLOR

I love listening to movie commentaries. I also love Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. Put the two together and you get one of my favorite combo's. One of the first things I noticed about the film (even before watching it with the commentary) was that during the opening credits there appeared the line:
A Film By
There was a pause, and then the line finished:
A Lot Of People
Usually that line is finished by the name of the director, producer, or production company and to see it presented in such way was surprising, to say the least. Then, during the commentary, the directors, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, spoke directly to that credit, saying that they could not, in good conscience, put their names there and ignore all the other people who helped make the movie. While I was in film school, the instructors forbade us from using any such title on our student films for very much the same reasons.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people like Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Quentin Tarantino and so on shouldn't be allowed to say, in essence, “I made this film”. The producers, directors, and production companies are extremely formative in the film making process. Much like the captain of a boat steers the ship, even if there are hundreds of other crewmen on board working hard to make sure the ship sails aright. However, I found it a very profound act of generosity on the parts of Phil Lord and Chris Miller to give such credit to their team.
In the bit of film making I've done since film school, I've avoided using the credit “A film by” altogether. Someday I would like to get to the point where I feel my directorship has grown sufficiently to use such a title, but for now I'm still learning the ropes. And who knows, even when I do get to that point I don't know if I'll use it. Film making is such a team effort, to say that I made a film seems a bit silly. Maybe if I wrote, directed, produced, shot, edited, acted, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment