MENU BAR

What I'm Working On Now

Three short films are in Post-Production, soon to be submitting to film festivals.
Producing/editing a pilot for a new web-series inspired by the Alice in Wonderland tales.
Producing/editing a documentary on Gene Roddenberry and the genesis of Star Trek The Original Series.
There are a number of other projects in development, just waiting their turn to be produced.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY OF REWRITES

The final chapters of IMMOLATION have been rubbing me wrong. I knew how I wanted things to end, but I couldn't seem to get there. I wandered, I detoured, I even tried a few meanderings but nothing worked. Joan wouldn't go to where I needed her to be, and even when I just plopped her down in the place I wanted, she wouldn't do what she was suppose to do.
What's a writer to do?
I suppose this is one of the advantages of being a writer of fiction; I get to rewrite history, or at least the history in the fictional world. Thankfully I'm only having to go back a few chapters to make things work. It could have been a whole lot worse. My other novel, the one I'm working on getting ready for agent queries and all that jazz, is currently getting a pretty thorough work over. It's not that the writing is bad (I've got that polished), it's that one of the main characters motivation never sat well with me. Every time I made a pass over the manuscript I'd make a note to fix her, and then I'd move on, never getting around to actually fixing her problems.
Well, it got to the point where I could no longer ignore her. Before I could fix anything else in the book, I had to figure out what to do with Sarah. Her original motivation was guilt over getting the protagonist, Erick, in trouble (and by trouble I mean secret government conspiracy/world domination with a dash of super powers trouble). But it didn't work, not sufficiently to explain Sarah's willingness and desire to see things through to the bitter end.
I tore her character apart, did a complete deconstruction, and began anew. Much of her original character traits, behaviors, quirks, and personality stayed the same. Her essence on the other hand, her background and plot points (which were weak or missing altogether before) all changed. Suddenly I had a fuller, more dynamic character that matched and drove Erick's plot development, rather than simply complimenting and adorning it.
It's refreshing, not having that nagging in the back of my mind every time I think about Sarah. Now all I have to do is fix Erick's family and I'm all set to begin the quest for an agent, and ultimately a publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment