MENU BAR

What I'm Working On Now

Three short films are in Post-Production, soon to be submitting to film festivals.
Producing/editing a pilot for a new web-series inspired by the Alice in Wonderland tales.
Producing/editing a documentary on Gene Roddenberry and the genesis of Star Trek The Original Series.
There are a number of other projects in development, just waiting their turn to be produced.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

IMMOLATION'S INCEPTION

As I near the end of my novel, IMMOLATION, I've been reflecting on how story ideas begin. it began with the Arab Spring and all of the revolts. I remember, one day, sitting in my car listening to NPR on the radio. They were talking about all of the people who were burning themselves in protest against various regimes, an act called self-immolation. The horror of such a thing, where a person could feel that such a death would be preferable to living in their current environment, struck me and I couldn't get the concept out of my head.
A few days later, another such incident occurred, except that the person was saved. Bystanders jumped into action and doused the flames before the self-immolater could burn too much and, from the hospital, the person expressed their disappointment with their supposed failure. It was from there, really, that the story of a person who burned, but wasn't consumed, came to my mind. At first, the protagonist started out as one of these self-immolaters, but I felt the story was a bit disrespectful to the people suffering in such situations. As such, the story evolved further into a short story about a young man who spontaneously combusted. I thought I was finished with the story there, but it kept coming back to my mind, begging to be developed.
At last, I sat down at my computer and began to work out the story that would eventually grow into IMMOLATION. The original short story survived, with some changes to bring it into conformity with the larger story around it, as Chapter 16. I've always been surprised how these things come about, where the inspiration comes from and where it eventually leads us. What about you? Where have you found inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment